September 27, 2010

Blog #1

The paper I will be working on this semester is on my Introduction to Art class. This class does not require a paper, so it is a fresh start paper. This course is to help students develop the ability to see artworks in a different way. It also examines the value and understanding of art. This course is an hands on experience with required museum visits. I am suppose to look at different types of art and try to understand the concept behind them. The paper I’m writing will be based on the art forms I encounter in the museum. The museum will be my most reliable source along with the Internet and text.
In this paper will be discussing mostly the concepts behind art and what feelings it brings when you looking at them and also some of the history behind art. I want to try a different approach on this paper compared to my others. This paper will act more as an journal of my experiences in the art class, but at the same time it will still have some research behind it. There will be a variety of history included in this paper, starting from the Renaissance, through the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries down to the Postwar. 
I hope my paper turns out the way I would like it to. I am excited to be writing about something different and interesting to me. I have always been interested in art just not that talented to actually practice it, but just looking at other people works is interesting to me. I think by viewing someone else work you get to understand the artist more. You begin to view ordinarily things differently and start to develop new ideas of old things. I believe that there is an little artist in all of us and hopefully this research paper will bring out my inner artist. :-)

4 comments:

  1. It is definitely a good idea for a paper. The paper almost seems open-ended since it will be, mostly, on your experiences at museums. You can easily expand on what you're writing about since you can choose to visit additional museums.
    I cannot appreciate art because I can barely draw a stick figure so I hope that this class and your intro to art class help bring out your inner artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Naaiiyqa, Thank you for your comment on my blog. I really commend you for taking a risk in your research paper and doing something original. I like that your approach to writing your paper will be more free hand because it will be mostly based on your experience exploring and learning about art. This shows that you adventurous! Coming from someone who has written an Art history paper, it is not easy, but I have a feeling that it will be a great experience for you because you have an appreciation, fascination, and interest in art and going to museums. Also, you don’t have to limit yourself to just museums; there are many wonderful art exhibits in the City that could inspire the artist in you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Naaiiyqa. This topic sounds interesting. Art is deep and responsive to those who see beyond. There should be so many things to explore about one art form. Artists’ emotions or ideas are there on their works and circumstances under which they work are what influence them, inspire them and reflect them greatly. So I think researching history behind an art is significant. What kind of art forms are you going to use in your writing though? Paintings? Pictures? Canvas? Sculptures? Or variety of works? And how many of them? I like art too and when I go to museums, I sometimes ask those people who work in the museums some questions, thinking that the basic information on the little white plastic plate next to a work is not enough for me to fully understand the work. They usually know a lot about artists and works, especially about the works on the floor they are taking charge of, and some of them are actually happy to explain about those works, if not very crowded. You could ask them about the art works that you find interesting and they could possibly give you some valuable information, recommend some books to look over or recommend other museums to go check out or other works of the same artist to see. Good luck with your research paper.

    Keiko Matsuura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi - I wish you were in class today (check with someone on the homework - its a big project!)
    Today we covered 2 important things for your project.
    1) Narrow yourself down to one microscopic topic (i.e. Cubism in Spain) rather than a broad one (art). Keep it super focused. This idea is too large for you to ever do it justice in a shortish paper. You'd need to write 7 books at least :)
    2) Develop an argument of some kind - a point of view that you want to defend. This is not a "collect info and re-present it" research paper. Its a "make a point and prove it using high-level research and argumentation" research paper. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete